Soto de Bureba, Burgos
Church of San Andrés
An inscription above the portal of San Andrés gives the construction date of 1175 and also names those responsible for the church as Petrus of Ega and Ihohanes Micael. The building originally consisted of a single nave, though a second was added on the north side to enlarge the church. The south portal contains a curious mix of sculpted imagery, including fantastical beasts (harpies, dragons, a unicorn identified by inscription...), representations of Christ and the sacrificial lamb, and the largest figure of the program—a man with chains binding his neck and feet.
Soto de Bureba
Click here or on the photo below to access a gigapan (zoomable image)